A successful author such as J.R.R. Tolkien does have many admirers and even more people would like to use his popularity for their own ends, that is, they would like to cash in on the writer of some of the most popular stories in the history of mankind. They come up with brilliant ideas that there has to be some link between City A, Building B or Person C (which they usually happen to represent) and aforementioned author – and you, dear reader, should be making the most of this: Spend your money on it.
For some people it is just wishful thinking. As a Tolkienist I would love a many cities A, buildings B or persons C to have some sort of link to my favourite author but in the end I have to stick with the facts.
To show you the facts I will produce an on-going series of things J.R.R. Tolkien has never said, done, written or had anything to do with. I will try and provide you with articles to the best of my abilities and will always be open for correction – this is the point about research (when well done): be open to admit a mistake, correct it and let people know you corrected it.
1. How to misappropriate a gardening picture. Enter: Clarence Elliott. Exit: J.R.R. Tolkien. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 1.
2. “Little by little, one travels far” is not a J.R.R. Tolkien quote. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 2.
3. “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities” is not a Tolkien quote. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 3.
4. “Not all those who wander are lost” – “All that is gold does not glitter” the right way. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 4.
5. How a hobby turns into a Hobbit in Cape Town. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 5.
6. Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory is not a Tolkien quote. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 6.
7. It simply isn’t an adventure worth telling if there aren’t any dragons is not a Tolkien quote. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 7.
8. You can only come to the morning through the shadows is not a Tolkien quote. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 8.
9. Living by faith includes the call to something greater than cowardly self-preservation is not a Tolkien quote. TThnsdwohatdw, Part 9.